Sunday 1/21 - Saturday 1/27
Serenity - Grace to Accept the Things We Cannot Change
by: Deacon Dennis J. Lawson Sr, PhD
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- What is something that you want to control that is outside your ability to control?
- How do accept something that you want changed?
- What is God teaching you in your life right now?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
- Pray for a heart that knows when to fight and when to surrender.
- Pray for St. John’s as we call our St. John’s Worship Leader.
- Prayer for those who struggle with needing to control.
- Pray that we are a church where that accepts God's will for us.
Study Questions (35 min)
About the Sermon
Read Matthew 26:36-49
- What was Jesus' feeling towards what was coming?
- What were the three disciples doing while Jesus struggled with this? Why is this important?
- Could Jesus have changed the scenario?
- If no, explain why.
- If yes, why didnt He?
- Why did Jesus pray this three times?
The world would be a totally different place and we could have different outcomes if Jesus would have decided to change things and not followed the wisdom of His Father.
A Deeper Look
Read Numbers 11:1-15
- When the Israelites found themselves in a situation they didn’t like what did they do?
- Did this help their situation? What should they have done?
- When you find yourself in a situation you do not like what do you do? What should you do?
- Is contentment something we gain with wisdom?
- How does this tie into “Grace to accept the things we cannot change?”
Read 2 Corinthians 12:1-10
- What does God mean by, “My kindness is all you need?”
- How is God’s power stronger when we are weak?
- When we face difficult and hard times in our life how do you react? Who do you turn too?
Discipleship Trios (25 min)
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same-gender groups of three and move to separate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener commitments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: Tell us what connections you're building and spiritual conversations you're having with non-believing friends.
- Pray for people who need God's grace in their lives. Pray for yourself to be a person who can share His grace.
- Pray for non-believers in your lives by name: ___________________.
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!