Sunday 12/31 - Saturday 1/6
God Remembers What we Forget
by:Elder Rick Keagy
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- Share one of your happiest childhood memories. What makes it so special?
- When you think of ‘home,’ what, specifically, do you think of?
- What is God teaching you in your life right now?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
- Pray for willingness to be transformed in times of difficulty.
- Pray for St. John’s as we call our St. John’s Worship Leader.
- Prayer for those who are uncertainty and confusion.
- Pray for our community of faith and how we can best care for our city.
Study Questions (35 min)
About the Sermon
- Review Psalm 103. Focusing on verses 2 – 5, what are the things we are to remember/never forget about The Lord?
- Possible Answers:
- Mercy & Compassion
- His blessings
- From the list above which of these do you most readily remember?
- Which are difficult for you to connect with?
- Based on verses 9 -13, what are the things that God does NOT remember about us?
- Possible Answers:
- His anger
- Our rebellious acts
A Deeper Look
- Looking at verses 14 – 16, what does God remember about us?
- How does God respond to our temporal state? Verses 17 – 19.
- Putting together what we are to remember about God, what God remembers about us, and what God forgets about us, what is to be our response? See verses 20 – 22.
Psalm 103 is a helpful summary of things we are to remember about God, and in the book of Philippians, Paul writes of things that we are to forget about ourselves. Read Philippians, chapter 3.
- What does Paul admit to in verse 6?
- In verse 13, what does Paul indicate is his current focus?
- If Paul, who did unspeakable things against the early church in the name of God prior to his conversion, can move forward because of his current standing with Christ, how can this help us forgive ourselves for our past sinful behavior?
- How can remembering God’s mercy and compassion as described in Psalm 103 help us do this?
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same-gender groups of three and move to separate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener commitments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: Tell us what connections you're building and spiritual conversations you're having with non-believing friends.
- Pray for people who need God's grace in their lives. Pray for yourself to be a person who can share His grace.
- Pray for non-believers in your lives by name: ___________________.
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!