Sunday 12/17 - Saturday 12/23
Advent: “The King Will Have His Day”
by:Elder Neal Bamesberger
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- What styles of music do you listen to?
- At what point do you feel closest to God this week?
- What is God teaching you in your life right now?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
- Pray for willingness to be transformed in times of difficulty.
- Pray for St. John’s as we call our St. John’s campus pastor.
- Prayer for those who are lonely and in pain.
- Pray for our community of faith and how we can best care for our city.
Study Questions (35 min)
About the Sermon
- How do you see God, lover of our souls or righteous judge or both? Why?
- Read Zephaniah 3:14-20:
- How does this text apply to those people?
- Does this text apply to us today, please explain how or how not?
- Why does it seem like Jewish people assume that because of their heritage that they are saved?
A Deeper Look
- In studying the book of Zephaniah what led to the judgements listed against the nations?
- Based upon your answer to the previous question, do we in America have anything to worry about?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11: This text speaks of the coming day of the Lord, what do we need to do to be prepared?
- See also: Galatians 5:16-26;
- Galatians 6:7-9;
- Ephesians 6:10-18.
- Read Psalms 6; 32, Proverbs 3:7-8; 14:30; 15:30; 17:22.
- Do you struggle with confession your sins?
- What do you see as the benefits of confession?
Discipleship Trios (25 min)
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same-gender groups of three and move to separate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener commitments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: Tell us what connections you're building and spiritual conversations you're having with non-believing friends.
- Pray for people who need God's grace in their lives. Pray for yourself to be a person who can share His grace.
- Pray for non-believers in your lives by name: ___________________.
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!