Sunday 11/12 - Saturday 11/18
Pure Desire: True Intimacy and Identity in Christ
by Elder David Kjergaard
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- Who did you feel close to as a child?
- When you think of intimacy, what do you think about (beside sex)?
- Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
- Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community.
- Click here for creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Study Questions (35 min)
About the Sermon
- Read Matthew 9:20-22
- Have one person read the story twice and everyone else close their eyes. Put yourself in the place of a bystander, the woman, or Jesus.
- What did you see, what did you hear, what did you feel?
- That woman in the story had been bleeding for 12 years and Jesus healed her. Is there something in your life that you would like healed or bad habit broken or good habit started?
- What gets in the way with your intimacy with Jesus?
- What can you do to foster intimacy with Jesus?
- How can you increase intimacy with your spouse or a friend?
- Is there a worship song or hymn that talks about our intimacy with Jesus? (e.g. He Knows My Name, What a Friend We have in Jesus)
- What are you thoughts about what this song or hymn says about the relationship Christ desires to have with us?
Discipleship Trios (25 min)
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same gender groups of three and move to seperate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener committments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: Tell us what connections you're building and spiritual conversations you're having with non-believing friends.
- Pray for non-believers in your lives by name: ___________________.
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!