Sunday 9/24 - Saturday 9/30
"Inside Out: Know Yourself that You May Know God"
by Deacon Dennis Lawson Sr.
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- When you are outside your comfort zone what are some things you fall back on? OR What is one area in your life where you have been forced outside your comfort zone?
- Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
- Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community.
- Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Study (35 min)
Opening Prayer: Creator of All Things, We ask that You grant in us a spirit that seeks to be tested, to become the creatures that You created us to be. Father we know that You know us better than we will ever know ourselves, we ask that as You empower us to step into areas that are uncomfortable that You use this time to speak truth into our spirits that we may gain a better understanding of who You created us to be and how we can better serve You in this knowledge. In the Name of Jesus Christ, The One Who Knows Us! Amen
Review 1 Samuel 17:26-50.
- What is a Goliath that you have faced that you have seen other people face?
- Did you use the same approach with your Goliath that others used when facing this Goliath? How did that go?
- What are some tools that God has given you that would have worked better?
Read 1 Samuel 17:38-39
- Why didn’t Saul’s armor work for David?
- What armor has God designed for you?
Read Matthew 4:1-11
- When an EMT is called to an emergency what do they fall back on to treat the victim?
- When you are tested what do you fall back on to face the test?
- When tested what did Jesus fall back on to face His test?
- In order to be ready to face test what must we do to prepare?
Discipleship Trios (25 min)
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same gender groups of three and move to seperate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener committments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: Tell us what connections you're building and spiritual conversations you're having with non-believing friends.
- Pray for non-believers in your lives by name: ___________________.
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!