"Where is God When: The Wrestling in Suffering"
by Pastor Michael Eckelkamp
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Study."
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- Describe a time of suffering you have experienced. Were you surprised by who showed up? In What way?
- Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Study (35 min)
Read Job 2:11-13
1. Describe Job's friends' reactions and why you think they reacted that way?
2. How do you react when those around you are suffering?
3. What do you think of these four phrases to share with someone in suffering?
A. I'll go with you
B.You're not alone.
C. I'm here for you.
D. Say nothing at all.
Read Job 7
1. How have you experienced or witnessed suffering?
2. How does Job’s plea to God speak to you about your suffering?
Read Job 8
1. Does Job’s friends words to Job speak truth or Gospel to Job? Explain your answer.
2. How do we speak the Gospel into the life of another's suffering?
Read Job 9
1. What do you find comforting about Job’s words here?
2. What do you find uncomforting about Job’s words here?
3. How can we speak the Gospel into the life of another’s suffering?
Prayers (15 min)
In your prayers this week remember to pray by name for those you know who don't know Jesus. Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Trios (25 min)
The goal of "Trios" is to provide time for additional sharing, support, and prayer. Break into same gender groups of three. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead. Be sure to move to seperate spaces for confidentiality.
Review the listener committments if you haven't done so recently.
Opening Question for Trios: How has God been challenging you to grow in faith? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to grow in faith in order to live life to the fullest? Did our study topic for today bring up an area that needs work, or is there another area of your life that you'd like to share about?
Have a time of sharing and open dialogue around your faith walk and the areas in which you currently need growth. The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or give unsolicited advice, but to ask others what they're planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them! If your group is having a hard time coming up with questions to ask, try pulling one or two from these questions in order to spark dialogue.
End your Trios time in Prayer
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs. Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!