"Mother's Day: Martha Revisited"
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (15 min)
*You might go around the circle three times instead of having each person do all three at once.
1. Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
3. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (20 min)
On a scale of 1 - 10, are you more task oriented or relationally oriented? What are the strengths & weaknesses of that?
When your life is crazy busy, how much do you think that values misalignment plays into that? That is to say, how much is your busyness a symptom of something else?
You can find Sunday's message online at SJDenver.tv (It's usually posted two hours after worship ends). What content in the message struck you as meaningful?
Going Further (40 min)
Sunday's message focused on the complete story of Mary & Martha, found in Luke 10:38-42, John 12:1-11 and John 11:17-27. Discuss those passages and if there are any common threads through all of them. Use this bible Study if desired.
Elder Rick pointed out that while we often focus on Martha's busyness, we don't often talk about what might have been at the root of her busyness - that she had not fully come to understand who Jesus is. Did you see evidence of that in the passages? Why is Jesus' interaction with her in John 11:17-27 seemingly very different than the other two?
Do you know someone whose behavior might indicate that in their heart, they don't yet fully "get" who Jesus is and what he has done?
It's easy to think about how this passage applies to others, but here's the real kicker: how might your busyness, anger, addiction, jealousy, gossip, anxiety, depression, ___________, be indicating that it's time to let Jesus in fully?
Do you still have questions? Text them to our sermon text line at 720-961-3773. We'll try to answer within a week. Thanks!
Prayers (15 min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at: SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!