"Chapter Three: Brothers"
By Elder Neal Bamesberger
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (15 min)
*You might go around the circle three times instead of having each person do all three at once.
1. Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
2. Do you prefer pie or cake? What flavor is your favorite?
3. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (20 min)
What is meant in 1 Samuel 18:1 when it says that Jonathan became one in spirit with David?
Are friendships between men different than women?
We don't hear the word covenant very often today. Is it different from a handshake or a contract? What does it mean to you?
Going Further (40 min)
Read 1 Samuel 20
In verses 1-2, what sin was in David's life that Saul wanted to kill him?
Verses 14-17 and 23 bring out a second covenant between Jonathan and David. What was it and what was its significance?
Do you think Jonathan was a little naive about his father's relationship with David?
The depth of love and concern that these men had for each other was amazing (See Psalm 133:1, Proverbs 18:24, Hebrews 2:9-11, 1 John 3:11-18). Do we see this in today's society?
How would you compare the love that these two men had with each other, with the love of Christ for us?
Do you still have questions? Make a list as a group and text them to our sermon text line at 720-961-3773. We'll try to answer within a week. Thanks!
Prayers (15 min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at: SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!