"Chapter Two: Warrior"
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (15 min)
*You might go around the circle three times instead of having each person do all three at once.
1. Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
2. Have you ever gotten revenge? Have you ever had someone get revenge on you? Was it deserved?
3. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (20 min)
Watch these clips of people getting revenge:
- https://youtu.be/TQmlUAIbcXA (Some Language)
Which video was the worst? Did the punishment fit the crime?
When you've gotten revenge, did it feel good? How does it feel to be on the receiving end?
What can we learn from how King David approached revenge in 1 Samuel 24? Why did David (who would become King in Saul's place) refrain from revenge?
Going Further (40 min)
There are many Bible passages that deal with revenge (Proverbs 20:22, Matthew 5:38-39, 2 Corinthians 13:11, Matthew 18:21-22, 1 Peter 3:9). However, let's camp out in Romans 12:16-21, which captures most of the same content from the other verses. Read it as a group.
In your opinion, what's the hardest thing to do in that passage?
Does it actually do any good to take revenge (Proverbs 1:18)?
Are you currently storing up anger & revenge to use when the opportunity arises? Without mentioning names, who is the person in your life right now that needs your peace and forgiveness instead of wrath and revenge?
What will you do for that person this week to show them that God’s desire for peace in your life will outweigh your desire for revenge?
Do you still have questions? Make a list as a group and text them to our sermon text line at 720-961-3773. We'll try to answer within a week. Thanks!
Prayers (15 min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at: SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!