"Chapter One: Humble Beginnings"
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (15 min)
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. Who's the most famous person you've met?
4. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (30 min)
What about Pastor's message on Sunday hit home for you?
What about David's early days impresses you? Are there any qualities of his that you wish you excelled in?
When is it ok and when is it not ok to allegorize scripture passages in order to apply them to your own life?
What Goliaths are in your life right now?What exactly are Jesus' promises for you in regard to those Goliaths? How can the group pray for you?
Exploring More (30 min)
As we explore more of David's life in the weeks to come, we will learn that his relationship with unfaithful and demon-inflicted King Saul will become extremely tense. If we back up one chapter, to 1 Samuel 16:14-23, we discover some challenging language. When you read it, doesn't it makes it sound as if the evil spirit that inflicts King Saul is somehow God's fault? It sounds similar to the "hardening of Pharoah's heart" incident in Exodus 7:1-7. We know that God is good and that He does not tempt people to sin (James 1:13), so what questions does this passage raise for you? Note that with both Saul and Pharoah that both men were unrepentant sinners at the time - what bearing might that have?
Refer to this commentary article as you explore this dilemma with your group. Does it help you gain additional clarity? Does it help you to be able to affirm that even with difficult passages, even when we don't fully understand, that God is still good?
Do you still have questions? Make a list as a group and text them to our sermon text line at 720-961-3773.
Prayers (15 min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing one of the following songs as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup Advent/Christmas playlist at sjdenver.org/songs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!