"Mourning Has Broken!"
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (10 min)
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. Are you a person who enjoys big holidays? Or are you a person who just gets through them? Why?
4. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (15 min)
Read John 20:1-18.
- What details catch your attention about this account at the tomb the first Easter?
- As you look closely, are there new questions that come up for you? How will you go about digging deeper for the answers?
Going Deeper (25 min)
In the sermon Sunday, the three pastors brought out that Mary Magdalene was outside the tomb crying. Jesus meets us in our tears.
- Tears of Sympathy – Read John 11:28-37 and discuss how Jesus sympathizes with us in our great struggles.
- Tears of Sorrow – Read Luke 19:41 and discuss how Jesus has sorrow over those who fail to welcome his love.
- Tears of Submission – Read Hebrews 5:7 and Luke 22:44 and discuss what Jesus faced internally as a man to submit to his Father’s will.
Read Romans 8:18-25. In this amazing chapter written by Paul, we hear that at its depths all creation longs for full renewal. So Jesus has risen from the dead, the first fruits of many to be raised by him one day. Discuss what Paul says about how we, Jesus’ followers, anticipate in the future.
What do you think you will most enjoy about a resurrected body?
Prayers (5+ min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing one of the following songs as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup Advent/Christmas playlist at sjdenver.org/songs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!