Sunday 4/9 - Saturday 4/15
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (10 min)
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. How did God show up in your life this week?
Getting Started (15 min)
- During Holy Week, it's typical for major magazines to release articles about "Who was Jesus?" and etcetera. How does the media portray Jesus?
- How were you raised to view God?
- If you could use one word to describe God what would it be? (Examples: Big, Wise)
- When you have been away from someone for a long time and are reunited, what do you notice about that person?
Going Deeper (15 min)
Read Luke 15:1-7, then answer the following questions.
- What was happening that led people to criticize Jesus (v.1-2)?
- The same criticisms were repeatedly leveled at Jesus, Mark 2:13-17 being one example (read it). What was Jesus' reasoning for continuing to hang out with sinful people?
- In the Parable of the Lost sheep, people are compared to sheep. This is a common occurence in scripture. Examples are found in Psalm 23:1-3; Psalm 79:13; Isaiah 40:10-11; Mark 6:34. How are we like sheep?
- Likewise, Jesus thinks of Himself as the shepherd (Ex: John 10). List some ways that Jesus is like a shepherd.
- What is the significance of the shepherd carring the sheep in Luke 15?
- What similarities are there between Jesus' punchline in Luke 15:7 and what he said in Mark 2:17?
- What did the pharisees learn from this parable and what should we take away?
Prayers (5+ min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing one of the following songs as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup Advent/Christmas playlist at sjdenver.org/songs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!