If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (10 min)
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. What's your favorite zoo animal? Why?
4. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (30 min)
Has someone else ever gotten a break that you resented?
Have you ever felt that you worked harder than someone else who got compensated or complimented just as much as you did? Can you resonate with the complaints of the workers in Matthew 20:1-16?
Why do you think we have a constant need to compare ourselves with others, instead of simply being content with our situation?
In verse 15, the employer says, "do you resent my generosity toward others?" In truth, there are many times in our lives when we believe that we're more worthy of grace than others. How does that show that our theology is messed up?
Going Further (35 min)
Read 1 Corinthians 3:3.
According to the passage, Jealousy comes from the corrupt human nature. The sinful nature. What about the sinful nature causes us to act with jealousy?
When we are jealous, which of the 10 commandments do we violate?
Jesus gives us grace (an un-earned gift) at the cross: a right relationship with God. To be a disciple of Jesus is to follow Jesus by imitating Him. When we imitate Him in giving others grace, we finally demonstrate an understanding of just how much we need His grace. Read Philippians 2:3. How does grace chase off comparison and jealousy?
How can we demonstrate increased grace this week? Will it draw people closer to Jesus?
Prayers (5+ min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus.Pray for them by name!
- Give everyone a chance to pray. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing one of the following songs as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup Advent/Christmas playlist at sjdenver.org/songs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!