If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups" and "Getting Started." If your group is really large, try same gender groups of 3 or 4.
Warm Ups (10 min)
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. If you could grow one thing in your garden, what would it be?
4. Do you have any God moments to share from this past week?
Getting Started (20 min)
What's a parable? Can you think of any modern parables?
Read Matthew 13:10-17. Does the passage make it sound like God isn't giving his message to some? Discuss. If you need help, check out KretzmannProject.org
Going Further (45 min)
Review the Parable of the Sower in Matthew 13:1-8 and the explanation in Matthew 13:18-23.
- What's the meaning of the parable?
- Read Kretzmann's commentary on verses 18-23. Which type of bad soil are you most prone to?
Whenever scripture is unclear, we always "Let Scripture interpret Scripture." How does the parable help explain the issue of "predestination" vs. "double predestination" raised by Matthew 13:10-17?
In Pastor Michael's Message on Sunday, he talked about the "foolishness" of the farmer casting seed everywhere. Interestingly, even though the soil types seem to be a major focus of the parable, it is called the “Parable of the Sower” and not the “Parable of the Soil." Why is that? What does this parable teach us about Jesus?
According to the parable, who should we share the Gospel with?
How can we be rich soil for the Word of God to be planted in?
Optional Worship Song (5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing one of the following songs as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup Advent/Christmas playlist at sjdenver.org/songs
Prayers (5+ min)
- In your prayers for this week, please consider those in your life who don't know Jesus. Pray for them by name!
- Click here for creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!