Sunday 10/23 - Saturday 10/29
Choose how you'd like to do Warm Ups + Getting Started:
- As a large group. Best for groups of 7 or less.
- Split into men's & women's groups.
- In Trios. Break off into same-gender groups of three.
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. What's one of your favorite worship songs?
4. How did God remind you of His presence this week?
Note for Leaders: You don't have to do every question listed. Choose the best ones for your group!
- Before Sunday's message, did you view the Psalms as a prayer book?
- When you begin to pray, what's the first thing you pray about? Do you tend to skip the "Praise" / "Adoration" part as well?
- Pastor AJ shared about an awkward prayer moment that he experienced. Have you ever experienced an awkward prayer moment? Have you ever not known what to pray?
- What about the message was meaningful to you?
- For the study component, we're going to explore several Psalms of praise and discuss how each one adds unique guidance for us as we seek to enrich our own prayers of praise. Read the following Psalms of Praise as a group and discuss what they bring to the table. As you go, you might have someone from your group look up each at http://www.kretzmannproject.org and after your initial discussion of each Psalm has happened, have them chime in with any poignant commentary that they see. Pay attention to the manner in which God is Praised - what tense it's in, what language it uses, if it uses repetition, if there are prophecies about Jesus, etc.
- Psalm 111.
- Psalm 136.
- Psalm 145.
- Psalm 150.
- When you read those four songs, do you think that there was overlap with the petitions that Jesus taught us to pray in the Lord's Prayer?
- When you read the Psalms, is it easy or hard for you to see Jesus in them?
- The message concluded with four ways you can take your exploration the Psalms further. As a group, share the one that interests you!
- Start our new First 5 Life Journal reading plan (http://sjdenver.org/medias/first5), which has the Psalms mixed throught it.
- Memorize a Psalm of Praise! - Try 117 for starters.
- Start a prayer group that uses the Psalms for guidance.
- Go through the Psalms and categorize each one for your own reference.
Optional Worship Song
- If you'd like, you can pick one of the following songs to sing as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup playlist at songs.sjdenver.org
- In your prayers for this week, please consider the following!
- Those in your life who don't know Jesus. Pray for them by name!
- Pray that God would entrust you with someone who needs a Christian voice in their life.
- St. John's multi-site campus plant in the Highlands.
- Pray for a Gospel movement in our city.
- Pray for our nation and the election coming up.
- Shake it up! You might try a different prayer posture this week. Did you know that people in the Old Testament prayed by looking up toward Heaven and stretching their arms out? You could also hold hands as a group, etc.
- Click here for ideas on how to pray as a group.
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!