Sunday 10/16 - Saturday 10/22
Choose how you'd like to do Warm Ups + Getting Started:
- As a large group. Best for groups of 7 or less.
- Split into men's & women's groups.
- In Trios. Break off into same-gender groups of three.
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. Have you ever been on TV?
4. How did God remind you of His presence this week?
Note for Leaders: You don't have to do every question listed. Choose the best ones for your group!
- Pastor Weems crafted the following comittment statements for an accountability partner ministry, but they're also great for LIFEGroups to committ to as we dive into a discussion of faith and politics. Please read them together as a LIFEGroup:
- I commit today to be a safe person in your life;
- I will do my best to listen to your words and to your heart;
- I promise to hold your words in confidence; your words stay with me;
- Next, pick a few of the discussion questions from this guide to get started.
- The candidates in this election are the most disliked in American history. How are you handling the choice that's before you?
- Do a "SOAP" (Click here for explanation if you need it) of Matthew 5:13-16 as a group.
- As you work through the passage, think about how Christians may be called to be "salt" and "light" in the midst of our current political process;
- After the "O" but before the "A," look up the passage on kretzmannproject.org and read the commentary.
- How do you feel that the Christian faith is being represented in this election?
- What parties, people, stances or opionions are being associated with Christianity?
- Have our actions borne good witness the values that are near to God's heart?
- How may our words have dishonored the human worth of the candidates?
- Are the unchurched getting a more or less favorable view of Christians as a result of Christian voices, opinions and endorsements in this election?
Optional Worship Song
- If you'd like, you can sing the following song as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup playlist at songs.sjdenver.org
- In your prayers for this week, please consider the following!
- Those in your life who don't know Jesus. Pray for them by name!
- Pray that God would entrust you with someone who needs a Christian voice in their life.
- St. John's multi-site campus plant in the Highlands.
- Pray for a Gospel movement in our city.
- Pray for our nation and the election coming up.
- Shake it up! You might try a different prayer posture this week. Did you know that people in the Old Testament prayed by looking up toward Heaven and stretching their arms out? You could also hold hands as a group, etc.
- Click here for ideas on how to pray as a group.
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!