Sunday 7/3 - Saturday 7/9
Choose how you'd like to do Warm Ups + Getting Started:
- As a large group. Best for groups of 7 or less.
- Split into men's & women's groups.
- In Trios. Break off into same-gender groups of three.
1. Share your high moment of the week.
2. Share your low moment of the week.
3. What's a food temptation that's hard for you to resist?
4. How has God shown up in your life this week?
Note for Leaders: You don't have to do every question listed. Choose the best ones for your group!
- What stuck out from Pastor Michael's sermon on Sunday?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you trust the government to take care of you?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you trust the government to oppose evil?
- Read 1 Samuel 8:1-21.
- What did the Israelites hope would happen if they got a king? How did they think it would make their lives better?
- When Israel asked for a king to lead them, it grieved God. Why?
- A recent Barna Study had this to say: “God, family, country” might be the oft-touted creed of country music, but most Americans scramble the order. Adults are most likely to point to their family as making up a significant part of their personal identity, “being an American” comes second and “religious faith” is in third..."
- When we get more identity from being an American than from Faith, or when we get more passionate about discussing politics than talking about Jesus, or when we rally behind a "savior" political candidate - are we any better than the Israelites?
- Whose will is reflected by the laws of our country? Does that help or hinder the government's ability to fight evil?
- Evil is overcome by Jesus at the cross. It's overcome by faith in Him. Evil is overcome when we pray "deliver us from evil." Evil is overcome when we make daily decisions to flee from temptation. Evil is overcome when we love others. The kingdom of God is bursting forth into this world, coming into direct contact with the ugly reality of sin - expanding and pressing against it until Christ returns to abolish sin, death and the devil - once and for all. What is our role in fighting evil?
Optional Worship Song
- If you'd like, you can sing the following song as a group. Be sure to turn up the volume so that less confident singers feel comfortable.
- Check out our LIFEGroup playlist at songs.stjohnsdenver.org
- Please remember to pray for your non-Christian friends and neighbors by name! Also, Click here for suggestions on how to keep your group prayer life fresh and vibrant!
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!